Registration deadline: February 26, 2023
MEST Africa is pleased to announce that applications are open for the MEST training program, class of 2024! Access a world-class education in Software development, business and communication skills of MEST Africa 12 month training program. Apply now to be part of the next class of innovative technology entrepreneurs!
MEST has confirmed the start of the new cohort for its basic training program in August 2023. Applications open December 12, 2022 and close February 26, 2023.
MEST training program
MEST offers a 12-month university-level training to aspiring entrepreneurs across the African continent.
The business, communication and software development entrepreneurship training program includes extensive practical project work, culminating in a final pitch and the opportunity to receive seed investment and grow businesses.
The successful world-class training program is run with the help of an internationally renowned faculty. Our teaching fellows come from some of the best universities in the world. MEST also offers Entrepreneurs in Training (EITs) the opportunity to be mentored by real entrepreneurs, CEOs and other executives from around the world. Guest speakers have been executives from Uber, Facebook, Safaricom, Samsung, Interswitch and many more.
Since its inception in 2008, MEST has invested over $25 million in training over 1,000 individual entrepreneurs and funded over 80 software companies across Africa. MEST entrepreneurs have developed solutions for local, regional and global markets, received follow-on funding from global investors and participated in leading accelerator programs such as Y Combinator, 500 Startups and TechStars.
- Degree from a top university or technical college or equivalent experience with at least two (2) years of business and start-up experience (preferred)
- Extensive communication, business or software development skills (from the start or acquired during the pre-learning phase)
- Young people passionate about technology and entrepreneurship, and how to use technology to drive business results
- Must be willing to commit to a full residential program for an entire year
- Disciplined and driven self-taught, able to work and complete assignments and projects – demonstrate this by completing the required pre-learning courses and MEST’s rigorous recruitment process
- An entrepreneurial spirit and a strong desire to start a business
- Ability to communicate with candor and persuasion
- Ability to work well in a team, proven academic or professional excellence
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Confident and independent thinking
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The MEST training program is an intensive, 12-month, full-time, fully-sponsored program in which the cohort – known as Entrepreneurs-in-Training (EITs) – take a graduate-level course in software development, business and communications, with a focus on practical implementation.
- The course concludes with an investor pitch, with the opportunity to receive seed funding and enter MEST’s portfolio for business incubation.
- Basic programming languages
- Web and Mobile Development
- User Interface/User Experience
- Build Culture-Driven Teams
- Business and Revenue Modeling
- Brand image and communication
- Market research
- Product development and innovation
- Marketing and Growth Hacking
- Financial management and investments
- Legal and regulatory compliance
- Metrics and Measures
- Sales and traction
- Investment readiness
- Closing of applications: February 26, 2023
- The program starts: August 2023
How to register
Complete these pre-learning courses:
Note: At the end of your first course on the IBM Digital Nation Africa portal, you will be guided to create an account on youracclaim.com. Once done, your badge will automatically be published on Acclaim. You can retrieve your profile link by clicking the profile icon and selecting ‘see my profile’.
Kind note that you must complete these courses, submit your profile link and upload your certificate before the application deadline.
Take an aptitude test
You must pass the aptitude test as your score will be requested when filling out your application form and will determine your progress to the next stage.
For more information: